space
dot Return to list
dot Boat Insurance
dot Boat Transport
dot Boat Loans
dot Boat Surveys
dot Trade-in Values


Bookmark This Ad
 

1890 Elmore Sanborn Tug - 78'


 
Year 1890
Length 78ft.
Price USD $199,900
Type: Pre-owned
Categories:
Power
Location Port Ludlow, WA, United States
Hull Material Roplene
Engine type Single
Fuel
Contact Information
 
Builder/Designer
Builder: Elmore Canning Co. Astoria, Oregon
Dimensions
Beam: 20 ft 0 in
Length on Deck: 78 ft 0 in
Cabin Headroom: 6 ft 2 in
Max Draft: 10 ft 0 in
Draft Drive Up: Direct Drive
Dry Weight: 120000 lbs
Engines
Engine(s): Atlas
Engine Model: 4HM763
Engine(s) HP: 110 HP
Cruising Speed: 7 knots
Tankage
Fuel: 2 (1750 Gallons)
Water: 2 (500 Gallons)
Holding Tank: 1 Plastic (43 Gallons)

Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

Boat Name
Elmore
Specs
Builder: Elmore Canning Co. Astoria, Oregon
Flag of Registry: United States
Dimensions
Beam: 20 ft 0 in
Length on Deck: 78 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 10 ft 0 in
Headroom: 6 ft 2 in
Dry Weight: 120000 lbs
Engines
Total Power: 110 HP
Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Atlas
Engine Model: 4HM763
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 110 HP
Cruising Speed: 7 knots
Maximum Speed: 11 knots
Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: 2 (500 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 2 (1750 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 Plastic (43 Gallons)
Electronics
GPS
Compass
Radio
Depthsounder
Radar
Autopilot
VHF
Inside Equipment
Deep freezer
Electric bilge pump
Air compressor
Oven
Heating
Manual bilge pump
Battery charger
Refrigerator
Marine head
Fresh water maker
Hot water
Electrical Equipment
Shore power inlet
Generator
Inverter
Outside Equipment/Extras
Tender
Electric windlass

Timeline

Time line/History of the RP Elmore/Elmore

1889    
Elmore and Sanborn Fisheries laid keel for cannery tender at Elmore Fish Canning
Company,Astoria, Oregon.

1890
68-foot R.P. Elmore steam vessel, launched in January carried passengers and forty tons of freight between Astoria and Tilllimooktwice a week until a road between the two cities was completed. James Tatton was her Captain.

Mid 90's
A group of Port Townsend men, headed by Captain "Late" Hastings with Captain Harry
Ramwell serving as operating manager bought her.

1898
She ferried freight and passengers to Alaska in the gold rush. After the last of these
trips, she was placed on the run from Cape Nome to Golovin Bay. Alaskan veteran Captain Charles Davis was her master.

1901
She worked out of Ketchikan on the Prince of Wales Island route with Captain Ramwell.
On returning to Puget Sound that winter, Captain Ramwell cut the boat down to
accommodate towing equipment, thus she began her towing career.
Captain Ramwell's group purchased the Towle-Thurston Towing Co., of Everett.
Late Hastings sold the "R.P."for one dollar and she became the flag ship of the newly formed American Tug Boat Company.
Captain A.M.Towle was first to captain her and was followed by "Scott" Fife, Lowell Smith, Chester Peterson, William Spooner and others.
GuyWolford,  had charge of her engines in Alaska and remained as engineer until transferred.
Ed Davis, James Colman, Frank Brown and Ben McLennan were among her numerous other engineers.

1922
According to aural history, a fire burned her to the water line.
While this was not documented, the "R.P.,"rebuilt from the water line up in the company yard, came out minus the initials and received a new certification number.
Her engine was replaced by a 3-cylinder diesel of 110 hp.
This was the first engine (number 00) built by the Washington Iron Works and was still in use in 1946 as a stationary plant.
The "Elmore" with two feet added freeboard was designed as a combination tug boat and fish carrier with a load capacity of 18,000 salmon.
After 1930 she was not needed as a fish tender and was used entirely as a tug.

1967
American Tug was bought out by Crawley Tug and the Elmore was sold at that time to
Puget Sound Freight Lines and operated by Dunlop Tow and renamed Kiket.
Puget Sound remodeled the interior in order to access working areas from within.

Mid 70's
Elmore was sold to Washington Tug and Barge who used her on their oil barge work.
Sometime between this time and 1982 Kingston Maritime bought Washington Tug.

1982
Elmore was put out of service, stripped of all machinery and was scheduled to be scuttled.
Instead she was sold as a shell to Dave Updike of Seattle.
Note:
Floyd Waite, shipwright for Fisherman's Boatyard in Everett bought her and restored her
as the Elmore. He installed her eighth engine, a 500 h.p. Caterpillar, a great change from
her first steam engine.

1990
She was purchased by Dee and Sara Meek. Galley area was rebeamed, some deck was replaced or repaired, bulkheads were removed and the entire galley was revamped.

1993-96
The Caterpillar was replaced by 1940 Atlas Imperial, 4 cyclinder 110 h.p. engine.
All below deck machinery that goes round and round was replaced.
From this time general repairs continued both inside and outside.

1999
Meeks spent three months in Canadian San Juans and Desolation Sound area.

2000
Meeks traveled to Alaska via the inside passage and tooled around for three and one-half months traveling between Ketchikan and Tracy Arm and circumnavigating Barrenoff Island.

2003
Dan Schell, Gary Vandiver, Albert Carder, Bob Knute and Dee Meek circumnavigated
Vancouver Island in a six week trip.

To 2006
The Meeks continue to keep her in good repair. She is a certified platform for the US
Coast Guard Auxilary and used on patrols and in training exercises with the US Navy and the Canadian Coast Guard. She is also an active participant in the Washington State University Yacht Club, leading WSU's contingent in the Seattle Opening Day Boat Parade for six years.

2006
During a survey, it was found that she needed replacement of both the forward stem and
inner stem. In conjunction with this the iron bark on the starboard side of the bow was
removed and revealed worn planks. Old growth fir was found for the two stems and
planking.

To 2010
The Meeks continue to watch over her and her well-being as she resumed participation
with the C.G. Auxiliary and W.S.U. Yacht Club in 2008.

2010
The bow, including stem and both port and starboard, were badly damaged when steel
fishing boat rammed her repeatedly during severe wind and ice storm.
She was on the hard for six and a half months at Port Townsend Boat Haven.
Repairs include new ribs, both port and starboard, planking, stem, shoe, decking, and bulwarks.

2011
She was put back into the water June 15 after on land repairs were completed. Other
dry-land maintenance continue while berthed at Hadlock.
In addition a group of Wooden Boat School students designed on built a stateroom in her forepeak.

Note:
Present length is listed at 78 feet. The beam is 20 feet. She draws ten feet of water
and weighs 150 ton


Hull Description

Her hull has a round bilge with a plumb bow, long straight keel, inboard rudder, and a fantail stern.

Heavy rubbing strakes and bulwarks run along her sheer line for the full hull length.

The trunk cabin has private accommodations and full amenities.

The aft old towing winch has been removed.

The on deck cabin was extended aft after the winch was removed.

 

Heavy duty plank on frame construction

Hull Material & Thickness: Douglas fir 2-3/4"

Frame Material, Spacing & Dimensions:

Approximately 8" x 8" Douglas fir doubled in futtock sections

Fastenings & Materials:
Galvanized steel ship's spikes and steel bolts in backbone structure and planing

Decking Material:
Douglas fir 2-1/2" thick, oakum caulked, vertical grain cut

Stem Timbers:
Fir 8" x 9"
Fir plywood "Fair to the eye"
Hull has a full 4" fir plank ceiling with 1 /2" steel bolts connected to frames
lronbark 3" x 11"
Longitudinals: Fir 5-1/2" thick

Ballast Materials:

Scrap iron and steel parts and pieces and large blocks of cement, plus lead ingots
throughout lower bilge

Galvanized steel
Secured By: lronbark hull sheathing I" x 4"
Rubbing Strake:
Remarks: Caprail is balau 1-1/2" x 6".
4" x 18" fir shelf, carlin timber 9-1/2" x 12"
There is steel reinforcement plating around the stern post, and a heavy duty steel skeg.
Large fir hanging knees.


Atlas Engine

Engine History:

Atlas was new in 1940, was partially overhauled in the 1960s, then stored in a warehouse from 1970 to 1990.

In 1995 the 395 Caterpillar was removed and the Atlas was installed after overhaul was complete.

Main Engine: Atlas Imperial Diesel Engine Co., Oakland, CA

HP: 110   Model: 4 HM 763   No. Cylinders: 4  Fuel: Diesel 

Engine History:

Atlas was new in 1940, was partially overhauled in the 1960s, then stored in a
warehouse from 1970 to 1990.

In 1995 the 395 Caterpillar was removed and the Atlas was installed
after overhaul was complete.

Engine Hours: Un-known

Cooling System: Self contained with keel cooler

Exhaust System: Dry stack

Engine Room Ventilation: Natural flow and 220 VAC blower with dedicated ducting

Cruising Speed: 8 knots
Reduction Gear: Planetary

R.P.M.: 325
Ratio: 1:1

Engine # 11932. No inspection made on the engine. Engine found clean and cared for.

Shaft Size & Materials: 3-1/2// steel clad with bronze bearing aft

Stern Bearings: Cutlass bearing
Intermediate Shaft & Bearings: Steel, clad with bronze bearing 6-1/4"diameter

Propeller Information: 4 blades bronze props 46// diameter (50 x 46)

 


Shipboard Amenities

Fresh Water System: 2 tanks
Capacity: 1,000 gallons
Materials: Steel
New AC powered freshwater pump

Fresh Water Heating System:
Mfg: Sears Craftsman
Energy Source: AC power
Type: 58 gallons

Toilets:
Household type porcelain head in trunk cabin, with a 43-gallon capacity Type III plastic holding tank
with standard pump-out

Galley Stove/Range: Mfg: Washington Stove Works
Energy Source: Diesel Remarks: Stove has been rebuilt, new top and firebox in recent years.

Vessel Heating System: 110 V electric heater system in cabins, and 220 V in passageway
Refrigerator: Large custom built-in stainless steel
Shower/Bath: Shower stall in trunk cabin

Other Equipment and Particulars:
Water Maker HRO System makes 600 gallons a day.
Boston clocks, Chelsea barometer, Marpol plaque posted, Jet AC powered drill press,
Asko washer-dryer compact unit, aft deck D.C.
Spotlights: Two large spotlights on forward pilothouse roof,
H. Packard DeskJet 940C printer,
assorted tools on board, 2 Fireaxes, there are approximately 15 large portholes in the trunk
cabin sides.
Oil pollution plaque posted.

Steering System: New steel rudder cable 3/4" thick, large wooden wheel in pilothouse with manual
and hydraulic assist steering, galvanized steel quadrant and connection, base of rudder sits on a
1-3/4" thick steel skeg, 3/4" 7 x 19 steel steering cable along the side decks to the quadrant, inside the
cable is 7 x 19 steel 1 /2" diameter.

There are 2 stations, one in pilothouse and other is on the aft deck on the trunk cabin roof.
The aft steering station has copper tubing and full engine controls.
A wood enclosure was recently built to cover the aft steering metal parts and pieces from weather exposure.
The upper decks are self-draining; steel hand railing around the sides of the decks are well secured,
no movement detected.


Disclaimer

The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.

Home | Directories | My Profile | My Bookmarks | Login

Copyright ©2006-2018. All Rights Reserved.

Contact us